Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Wineberry: Our Latest Surprise Crop

Have you ever heard of Japanese wineberries?  Me neither, until I discovered them growing like crazy all over my property this afternoon!  About a week or so ago I noticed these brambles growing mixed in with our blackberries that seemed to have some kind of pods.  I asked Mum if she knew what they were, but she thought probably just a weed.  Lo and behold, I walked past today, and the pods had burst open to reveal perfect, beautiful, ruby-red berries!




At a glance they look like raspberries, but bigger, shinier, and brighter, as you can see from the below photo (two of each kind of berry).  Poor raspberries are totally outclassed.  (Luckily they make up for their sad looks by being completely delicious.)



In fact, the similarity isn't just skin deep.  Wineberries are a strain of raspberry that was originally brought over from Asia and has since escaped captivity to run rampant (mostly, apparently, in my yard)!



Once my research had told me what they are and what they're good for (eating), I set out to denude my wineberry bushes of their riches.  I quickly filled my little pitcher, and had to go back to the house for something a bit more substantial.


(Those blackberries, by the way, are dirty liars.  I picked a few because they looked so ripe and juicy, but each one I tasted was sour and bitter, so I ended up throwing the rest into the pond.  Fish do not like blackberries, as it turns out.)  But blackberry disappointment aside, check out the spoils!


I'm completely obsessed with these little beauties.  Look at that shine, that glowing red color.  I'm in love.  


I can't wait to decide what to make them into!  They're a little more tart than a raspberry, the flavor is almost like a blackberry, but not bitter.  Pinterest has yielded recipes for muffins, scones, cobblers, pies, cordial (how very Anne of Green Gables!), and best of all, JAM!  I am dying to make jam out of these, it would be the most gorgeous color.  I'll have to see whether I can pick enough of them in the next few days to make jam a worthwhile possibility!  Wineberry jam on Mum's scones, mmm.  I can see it now.  I'll let you all know how it goes!

--Lily


1 comment:

  1. Wineberry jam already SOUNDS incredible--even if the taste proves disappointing I believe you've found a winner!

    Man I wish I had delicious berry bushes in my backyard...

    ReplyDelete